Saturday 2 April 2011

Stations of the Cross

What I got most out of the retreat was a renewed exciting relationship with Christ. But I'm not ready to talk about that, anonymous though this blog be. Another thing was, I thought I ought to be more alert to what God wants me to do, and not shy away from 'doing' things for God.
Well, back in my parish I got a challenge.Our priest is still recuperating from two big operations, and the visiting priest said surely someone could organise Stations. So I did! So did another person, so Paul does Tuesdays and I do Fridays. I created my own prayers. They really relate to everyday life, so are quite a change from the traditional ones that Paul uses. But as the people attending are all older members of the church I made sure we sang, 'At the Cross' and 'All ye who seek a comfort sure' as well, to make sure they didn't feel too disoriented. The first two times I did it there were 8 people present, but last night there were twelve. Paul is only getting two people. I think this is partly because Friday is more traditionally a day of penance, and also, Paul is ultra-traditional, hankering after the Latin Mass, and refusing to exchange the Sign of Peace at Mass. I'm not crowing. Popularity means nothing. Jesus wasn't very popular at the end.
Actually, this was the parting shot from my spiritual guide at the retreat - if we start doing God's work we will not be popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment